I am delighted to head into the final two months of 2011 while celebrating some amazing milestones:
- 150+ restaurant brands now choose OLO for mobile and online ordering
- 10x more customers use OLO than did 15 months ago
Six years ago, I quit a dream job and withdrew my admission to Harvard Business School to found OLO because I believed that trends in mobile, online, and social would soon come together and unlock massive potential for the restaurant industry through self-service ordering.
Today, I am proud of what the OLO Team has built through hard work, guidance from OLO’s investors, advisors, and partners, and feedback from OLO users and restaurant brand clients.
OLO place-shifts the “point of sale” from the counter to the customers, allowing customers to order and pay from anywhere using OLO’s unique platform and exclusive industry partnerships:
- OLO’s private-label system makes it easy for restaurants to integrate mobile and online ordering on their own website, with their unique brand look and feel and without exposing their customers to their competitors.
- OLO’s platform can integrate multiple point of sale (POS) providers to provide a unified consumer-facing platform, perfect for franchised restaurant chains with a heterogeneous POS landscape.
- Restaurant brands will soon be able to promote their takeout and delivery service and grow market share through OLO’s exclusive relationship with GrubHub, the #1 consumer-facing portal that lists all local restaurants with takeout and/or delivery and allows customers to order online or through GrubHub’s apps.
Now over 150 restaurant brands choose OLO as their mobile and online ordering provider, including Cold Stone Creamery, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, and Sonic Drive-In.
OLO Q3 Highlights
OLO’s Mobile Apps Are Getting 5 Star Reviews — by people who know what apps are supposed to taste like ;)
- OLO was honored to receive an incredibly positive review of the Five Guys iPhone app (built on the OLO API) from the Senior Editor of Macworld
- Congratulations to Five Guys and Solertium (http://www.solertium.com): you are both the best of the best.
- OLO is eager to help more restaurant brands launch and operate five-star apps.
Read the review from Dan Frakes, Senior Editor of Macworld here: http://olo.tumblr.com/post/10163230059/macworld-review-five-guys-shines-baja-fresh-falters
Mobile Ordering – We Have Liftoff!
- OLO was the first company to introduce mobile food ordering in the United States in 2005, back when text messaging was state-of-the-art.
- Then iPhone came around in 2007 and changed the game. And Android caught on even faster!
- Now in 2011, it is amazing to see that the mobile ordering customer experience has gotten so easy to use that mobile-originated orders can represent more than 33% of all OLO order volume on some days (up from 10% just one year ago!).
Read the Nation’s Restaurant News piece by Alan J. Liddle here:
Toward an Open Industry Standard for POS Integration: Meet SSOI
- “What if all POS systems could interface with all self-service ordering systems?” It was a question that OLO asked with the greater interest of the restaurant industry in mind.
- OLO believes that open technology standards beget innovation.
- I was honored to be elected Chairman of the Self-Service Order Interface (SSOI) work team of the Association for Retail Technology Standards, leading a group that includes representatives from CISCO, Epicor, EPSON, Five Guys Enterprises, Heartland Payment Systems, HMS Host, NAFEM, OLO, PAR, RSPA, and Yum! Brands.
Watch my SSOI presentation with Zerrick Pearson of Five Guys here:
Q4 Upcoming Events
Restaurant Finance and Development Conference – November 7-9
I look forward to catching up with clients and friends at the Restaurant Finance and Development Conference at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas.
I would value your feedback on this update and would love to find new ways to work together and grow together in 2011, 2012, and beyond.
p.s. OLO is Hiring! If you know someone who loves restaurants, the Internet, and New York City, please direct them here: http://olo.tumblr.com/post/11745570381/clentservicereps